With your own property, you have the liberty to experiment with different ideas that help to increase the space, comfort and aesthetics of the house. Many homeowners extend the roofline in order to better utilize the space creating attractive outdoors. Not only that, but it also increases the worth of your property. You can enjoy different weather and scenic beauty by adding a front porch to your extended roof.
Here are some tips to extend the roofline.
Tips to extend roofline
1. When you get down to extend the roofline, make sure you get appropriate safety gear. The project can be risky hence you must ensure the safety of yourself and others working on the project.
2. One of the most important tips to extend the roofline is to find electrical requirements for lighting, cooling and receptacles.
3. Tips to extend the roofline include finding out local codes and permit requirements. This is very important to ensure your work is according to codes. Moreover, many insurance companies require that the work is performed according to local codes and requirements before paying out claims. Hence it is important to protect yourself, your family and your property
How to extend roofline to add a front porch
A front porch serves as an attractive entrance to the house. It is one of the most beautiful sights to watch kids play on the front porch while you sip your evening tea enjoying the pleasant weather. Here is a step-wise guide as to how to extend roofline to add a front porch.
1. Determine the rise and run of your porch roof. Next, determine the place where the rafter plate will be attached to the wall to get the rise and run.
2. Ensure that the rafter plate is three inches below any window to allow for the thickness of roofing materials. Mark the upper and lower lines for rafter plates.
3. Install the rafter plate with lag screws.
4. Next, locate column positions. The actual placement of columns will be determined through the opening of the stairs.
5. Now you can place the columns. Aim for columns that are square to the house and floor.
6. Set up the header built out of 2 by 6 or 2 by 8 planks. On a porch roof, the header consists of the majority of the weight of the roof. Therefore, make sure the header is substantial. Secure it on the top of columns with the help of toenailing.
7. Now you have to cut and install rafters. There are special cuts known as “tails” and “bird mouths” that are designed to adjust against the rafter board and over the header. A rafter square shall be handy to layout the cuts on the board. You need accurate measurements to build a front porch.
8. Next, install supports for siding and closing the ends. One option to do so would be to install jack studs and plywood on each end of the roof.
9. Then, you install fascia board on the rafter tails. Later you can attach the gutter to it. You can also install “lookouts” to the end of the rafter tail and the header. This will give you a flat surface on which you can nail soffits.
10. Next, apply sheathing to the rafters. Once done, install roofing paper and attach a drip edge over the roofing paper. Add asphalt or any other shingles over the roofing paper and drip edge.
11. Lastly, wrap exposed wood with aluminum flashing with the help of a special machine.
Extending the roofline as interesting and desired it may sound, however, it is not that easy task. It requires expertise, knowledge and skills. If you consider yourself to be proficient enough to do it yourself, make sure you have the necessary tools and knowledge. Otherwise, you must seek help from professional roofing contractors who know very well how to extend the roofline to add a front porch. After all, it is a major extension to your home and you would not want to take any risk.