When it comes to the look of the house, one always think about covering up the roof. The options you have are both expensive and limited.
The traditional roofing material is asphalt shingle
What is Asphalt Shingle made-up of?
This product is made of an organic material (cellulose fibers) or inorganic material (glass fibers). The organic mat is saturated and coated with asphalt and then surfaced with ceramic-coated opaque mineral granules. (where ceramic coating is a clear coat which includes a liquid polymer)
There are three main types of asphalt shingles:
1. 3-tab asphalt
3 tab asphalt shingles are the most affordable shingle to install but they are thinner, have an organic-mat paper base, and wear out more quickly than fiberglass or architectural shingles
2. Fiberglass asphalt
Fiberglass shingles do contain some asphalt, but less of it than organic shingles. … The mat is soaked with asphalt filled with mineral fillers, which makes it waterproof. Due to the absence of paper, fiberglass shingles are more fire resistant than organic asphalt shingle
3. Architectural style asphalt shingles
Architectural shingles are more durable than asphalt shingle options in comparison to 3 tab asphalt shingles. The give off a sculpted look and have an extra laminate layer which contours them to look a bit more designed
Advantages of shingle roofing:
1. They work well on a steep-sloped structures.
2. They come in a wide range of prices, sizes and colors.
3. Roofing repairs are relatively easy with composite shingles.
4. Versatile, they adapt easily to different applications.
Disadvantage of Shingle Roofing:
1. Shingles are susceptible to high wind damage– strong winds can uplift or tear shingles off easily.
2. Asphalt roof shingles not only transfer solar heat into your home, they can become damaged by the heat.
Flat Roof :
It’s easy to assume that a flat roof would be far less expensive to apply material to than a pitched one. a flat roof is significantly cheaper than a pitched roof. Flat roofs’ repair costs are more expensive than pitched roofs’ are, and because they are less prone to moisture damage, a pitched roof may be more affordable in the long-term.
Material of Flat Roof:
EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer):
Commonly known in the industry as a rubber roof. One of the biggest advantages of EPDM over aPVC roof membrane is a much lower price.
PVC and EPDM typically go 1-2 in terms of popularity for flat roofing depending on what area you live in.
PVC (polyvinyl chloride):
Arguably the most popular of all flat roofing materials (some contractors even install ONLY PVC membranes.) PVC membranes are a single layer of thermoplastic material. PVC roofs are especially strong and durable
One potential area of concern with single-ply roofing membranes including TPO, EPDM, and PVC, is that although these roof membranes are durable, sharp objects. Built up roofing can include up to four plies or more consisting of alternating layers of bitumen
It is an example of the protective coating installed on a roof is a silicon spray. The biggest advantage of a spray on roof is foregoing any seams like you have with membranes
Most common types of flat roof materials available for your home:
1. Single-layer membrane roof
2. Modified bitumen roof
3. Built-up roof (BUR)
Advantages of flat roof
1. The biggest advantage of a flat roofis the expense. From building and installing to the materials commonly used for flat roofs, they are relatively cheap
2. Another advantage is space can be used for other purposes. Air conditioning units can be put on the roof instead of the ground
3. A flat roof also makes interior space more versatile.
4. Flat roofs are typically more accessible than roofs that are sloped
Disadvantages of Flat roof:
1. As the areas of a flat roof increases, the stability decreases
2. Material for flat roofs is a bit scarce.
3. There are not many options from which to choose.
4. They have a limited lifespan. The life expectancy is between ten and 15 years
5. Draining, or rather lack of it is the biggest disadvantage
For any building or construction to last longer, apart from the foundation and the material used, the roofs should also be stronger. Regular maintenance will keep your home protected from the environmental damages. However, the type of roof installation depends a lot on the design and the use of the building.